The Fort Rucker Elementary School, which houses grades two through six was constructed in 1963. The Fort Rucker Elementary and Primary Schools are Department of Defense Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DoD DDESS). In the Fall of 2002, the Fort Rucker schools were consolidated with Fort Benning schools. In 2003, Fort Rucker became a part of the Georgia/Alabama District, which encompasses Fort Rucker, Fort Benning, and Maxwell Air Force Base.
The original name of the post was Ozark Triangular Division Camp, but before the camp was officially opened on 1 May 1942, the War Department named it Camp Rucker. The post was named in honor of Colonel Edmund W. Rucker, a Civil War Confederate officer, who was given the honorary title of "General," and who became an industrial leader in Birmingham after the war. In September 1942, 1,259 additional acres south of Daleville were acquired for the construction of an airfield to support the training camp. It was known as Ozark Army Airfield until January 1959, when the name was changed to Cairns Army Airfield. The first troops to train at Camp Rucker were those of the 81st (Wildcat) Infantry Division; the 81st Division left Rucker for action in the Pacific Theater in March 1943. Three other infantry divisions received training at Camp Rucker during World War II -- the 35th, the 98th, and the 66th. The 66th (Panther) Division left for the European Theater in October 1944. More information
As a Professional Learning Community, Fort Rucker Elementary School is committed to equipping all students for success in the 21st Century.
Success for all students in the 21st Century
All FRES students will improve their Reasoning and Proof skills
All FRES students will improve Written Communication across the curriculum.
FRES is accredited by AdvancED. Read more about our accreditation process.