ARAB04: Art 2 (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Visual Arts
COURSE TITLE: Art 2
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 2
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The fundamentals of art will be presented in this Second Grade visual arts class. It is designed as the basic entry course for the art program. The course provides instruction in the use of the elements of line, Color texture, shape, and space arrangement in works of art. Students learn how to compose a balanced, rhythmic, unified design through a series of assignments that use a variety of two- and three-dimensional art media. Course emphasis is placed on basic techniques of drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, and sculpture that can be used throughout life for communication, expression, and enjoyment.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will provide experience with art materials, tools, and equipment commonly used in art education programs. Using different media, students will produce works of art that express a personal knowledge or attitude about an object, concept, or event; and works of art that reflect individual skills, interests, and understandings. Students will learn to identify works of art by evaluating the major style, culture, or historical period of the work. Visits to art galleries, studios, and museums will be included when feasible.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be required to demonstrate knowledge of the proper care and use of tools, materials, and equipment used in art. Student projects will be evaluated on originality, craftsmanship, effort, time utilization, and quality, taking into consideration the individual or students’ talent, experience, and/ or limitations.
Upon completion of the fundamentals of art course, students should be able to:
Create Works of Art
- Begin to apply the elements and principles of design to all forms of art production.
- Produce drawings, paintings, prints, and sculptures that reflect individual skills, styles, and interests.
- Produce a work of art expressing a personal attitude with regard to an object, concept, or event.
- Identify tools and materials used in specific media.
- Demonstrate the ability to mix colors as needed.
- Demonstrate basic drawing skills.
- Display ability with a wide variety of art forms.
- Begin to articulate basic knowledge about the visual arts that can be used throughout life for communication, expression, and enjoyment.
Demonstrate Aesthetic Perception
- Formulate reasons for stating that selected works of art have aesthetic merit.
- Articulate the beauty in structural characteristics of natural and man-made art forms.
- Appreciate beauty in unexpected places.
- Transfer the accidental happening to a visual arts experience.
Develop Knowledge of Art Heritage
- Identify works of art, and the style, culture, or historical period of the work.
- Demonstrate knowledge of an artist, art style, and art movement.
- Discuss the theme, topic, and subject of selected artworks.
- Communicate specific ways in which the visual arts have identified ideas/ideals throughout history.
- Describe a variety of art careers.
Utilize Critical Judgment of the Visual Arts
- Evaluate visual expression through craftsmanship, composition, originality, and function.
- Appraise relationships between form and function in applied design.