PTI308: Digital Publishing (2012-2013)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Career and Technical Education
COURSE TITLE: Digital Publishing
CALENDAR YEAR: 2012-2013
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: Publication Software Applications is a course desgined for students with an interest in desktop publishing. This course will provide training in the software for personal use and employment. Students completing this course may be eligible to to take an Adobe certification exam.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will be provided in a classroom or a lab utilizing individualized instruction and online resources will be provided in a lab environment. Simulaitons projects, appropriate support software, internet activities and alternative resources may be used. Students will primarily use Adobe InDesign software while learning the following modules: Basic Graphic and Layout Designs; Graphic and Layout Design; Imaging Process and Creating Publications.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Assessment will be accomplished by checking student work in progress to ensure that timelines are developed and followed throughout the course. The students must also successfully complete all projecs deemed appropriate by the instructor.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Determine the appropriate situations for using desktop publishing software
- Demonstrate the ability to use a software package associated with publication
- Use computer graphics, capture computer images, or other multi-media sources (i.e. sound, video, etc.) to enhance publications
- Save graphics input deveices such as scanners and other digital devices
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal and ethical aspects of computer usage iwth using and modifying information
- Demonstrate ability to work with reference materials, documentation and other related resources
- Create desktop publications for personal use or use in a portfolio for employment opportunties or continued education in a publications career field