Involvement in student activities has many advantages for students. Quality extracurricular activities promote student achievement, citizenship, and service to the community while developing self-esteem, self-confidence, and social cooperation. An extracurricular program supports student achievement by helping to establish a safe, positive climate of cooperation and competition. Quality extracurricular programs promote experiential learning, healthy decision-making and life skill development while developing responsible student leaders and global citizens.
The major goal for any quality extracurricular program should be to foster inclusion of students from diverse social, economic, and cultural backgrounds. In DoDEA it also provides an opportunity to develop an appreciation and understanding for the Host Nation while participating in many typical “American” activities. The extracurricular program in DODEA supports the military family.
Quality extracurricular programs offer students the opportunity to explore, engage, and elevate their interests and reflect on future career options. When a student explores an activity, they are confronted with the basic concepts and principles of leadership and initiate a process of skill development. Involvement provides students with the opportunity to expand self-confidence, refine their skills, and develop social cooperation. Through introspection, reflection, and guided evaluation a student can realize their leadership style, sense of commitment, and continuous growth on many levels. There are student fees associated with some activities.
SY 2012-2013 Student Activities Calendar
- Creative Connections | November 4-9, 2012
- Jazz Seminar - Brussels | January 13-18, 2013
- Berlin Seminar for Teachers | February 11-15, 2013
- Future Educators Association (FEA) | January 29-February 1, 2013
- All Europe Academic Bowl | January 30 - February 1, 2013
- Junior Leadership Seminar (JLS) | October 21-26, 2012
- Berlin Seminar for Seniors | February 11-15, 2013
- International Student Leadership Institute (ISLI) | March 3-8 , 2012
- Air Force/Navy Drill Finals | March 18, 2013
- Junior Science & Humanities Symposium (JSHS) | March 4-6, 2013
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) | March 25-29, 2013
- Math Counts | March 28-29, 2013
- Model United States Senate (MUSS) | March 18-22, 2013
- Honors Music Festival | April 1-6, 2012
- STEMposium | May 12-17, 2013
- DoDDS-Europe Film Festival* | May 6, 2012
- Culinary Faire | February 12-15, 2013
- Army Drill Finals | May 19, 2012
- DoDDS-Europe Language Institute | TBD