Please try to call during duty hours 0700-1600, Monday-Friday, Japan time.
To call on base from the US direct dial: 011-81-98-961-1204
To call our office once you are on island:
From off base — 098-961-1204 From on base — 634-1204
To Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Orientation Session for Teachers New to Okinawa: 21 August (Tuesday) 0800 – 1500 – Personnel Processing Session (morning) will be held at the Kadena High School Information Center on Kadena Air Base. This session is provided for all new CONUS hires and DoDDS transferees from off-island. (During the morning session New Local Hires will be working at their respective schools.) District Orientation to District Instructional Systems Specialists and Curricular Materials (afternoon) will be held at Kadena High School Information Center, Kadena Air Base. This session is for ALL incoming teachers new to Okinawa (i.e., local hires, transferees, CONUS hires.) Incoming teachers will be in a duty/pay status for these briefings.
Obtaining ID Cards: Your school's secretary and/or your sponsor will have specific information regarding obtaining a base ID card once you arrive on Okinawa. A valid ID card will be necessary for obtaining a US Forces Japan Driver"s License.
- New employees may need up to one week before receiving an ID card; this allows enough time for your service record to be built in the system by Virginia (local agencies can not build your DoD service record). (The Travel Date Certification form you completed when you first arrived on island started this process.)
- The following offices will issue ID cards to DoD Civilians:
- Human Resource Office of 18th Force Support Squadron (18th FSS) issues ID Cards for Military and Civilians on an appointment basis by calling 634-4537. Walk-in services are available, but wait periods can be lengthy (one to two-hour waits are not uncommon. The Human Resources Office of 18th Force Support Squadron is located in Building 721 (front area of the building)
- Foster Pass & ID offers appointments by calling 645-4038. This office is located by taking Highway 58 South, entering through the "Commissary Gate" and taking the 3rd road to the right. Go to the top of the hill. Bldg 5699 (IPAC). This office is open Mon – Fri 0730-1630.
- Naval Kadena has an ID Pass issuing office. Appointments can be made online by connecting to http://www.cfao.navy.mil/ and choosing the "Links: button on the left side of the page, then selecting "ID Cart Appt" under the Navy section of the following page. Online appointments may be made up to three months in advance. The building is located Near Kadena Gate 4 where you see 3 flag poles and an anchor by the Post Office. This office is open daily from 0700-1530. Personnel SPT Det (PSD) Bldg 3554. (634-6326)
- Torii Station ID office can be reached by heading North on Hwy 58, turn left on Route 6 and continue until you see the main gate on your left. Bldg. 216 will be on your left. (644-4125) Services are by appointment only.
- Camp Kinser: Take Hwy 58 South, turn right into Kinser gate 3 and turn left onto the main road. Bldg. 100. (637-1706)
- Camp Courtney: From Kadena Gate 2, turn left onto Hwy 329. This hwy will turn into Hwy 75. Main gate will be on your right. (622-9371) IPAC Satellite
- Camp Hansen: Take Hwy 329 into Kin Town (623-7059)
Driver’s License: You must have a US Forces Japan Driver's License to drive on Okinawa. You can obtain one once you arrive on island. To obtain a US Forces Driver's License you must have a valid state driver's license, so make sure yours is up to date. Briefings for obtaining a Driver’s License are held on Wednesdays at 0800 at the Shilling Recreation Center, and on a first-come, first-served basis on Fridays at 1000 at the Kadena Safety Wing Office in Building 908. The Kadena Safety Wing will provide a special Driver’s License briefing for incoming DoDDS teachers on Monday, 20 August 2012, from 1430 – 1600 in Building 908.
Child Care Services: Child care services are available through both the Marine Corps and Air Force agencies here on Okinawa. If you would like to pre-register your child at one of the child development centers, please refer to the information at http://kadenaforcesupport.com/childdev.html or from the Marine Corps services at http://www.mccsokinawa.com/mccs.asp?id=121. Both agencies offer services for children of all ages.
Housing Information: Housing Office (Kadena AB – Building 217)
Main Office (Central Area) – Kadena Air Base 634-0582/0583 (Other offices: Northern Area Satellite Office – Camp Courtney 622-7317 and Southern Area Satellite Office – Camp Kinser 637-3736) Kadena Office Hours: 0800-1530 Monday through Friday (closes at 1430 on Thursdays for training)
For Off-Base Housing: Mass briefing every Mon-Wed-Fri at 0800 in Bldg. 217. You can also go directly to off-base agents to look at houses anytime.
For On-Base Housing: You must fill out an application (DD 1746) with the housing office (this can be done before you arrive if you fax your orders with the application).
The application can be obtained by visiting the Kadena Housing Office website at http://okinawamfh.com Additional information regarding housing can be found through the links from the Marine Corps Camps Services website at www.mccsokinawa.com following links for newcomers; the Kadena Services Links Page at also offers important information for newhttp://kadenaforcesupport.com/links.html comers.
Medical Facilities: There are a number of American medical facilities located on Okinawa but getting an initial appointment can take a few weeks so make sure you bring a sufficient supply of any prescription drugs. You should also hand carry medical records for yourself and any family members accompanying you. Please look in the left column of this page for pertinent medical links.
Records for Dependents: If you have school-age children, please hand-carry their school and shot records to make school registration easier
On-Base Shopping: We have two large military exchanges (general merchandise) and two large commissaries (groceries) as well as a number of other retail facilities on our bases. There are also numerous shopping centers and large retail stores available off base. Most common person hygiene and bath and beauty products are readily available.
Banking: We have ATMs located at various locations on all the bases, but you should bring enough cash to cover expenses until you can access your accounts. We have a community bank that can meet most of your banking needs, but you can keep your stateside accounts if you want and have your pay deposited there. If you want to use your stateside accounts, make sure you have the bank routing number for direct deposits.
Important Information for Bringing your Pets to Okinawa Pets are important members of your family. If you are planning to bring your pets with you to Okinawa, you must be in compliance with Japanese Government regulations regarding the import of pets into this country. Please use this link to obtain important and time-sensitive inforhttp://www.usarj.army.mil/organization/vet/ mation. If you then click on the "Pet Import" links, you’ll find a listing of required documents, reimbursement possibilities, and other important information related to the decision to bring your pets with you. Here is a link to Okinawa Branch Veterinary Treatment Facility where you can find more specific information: http://kadenaforcesupport.com/vetweb/index.htm
Household Goods Shipment: As of 1 April 2008, DoD civilian teachers were authorized "full JTR" of household goods to Okinawa. This means teachers may ship up to 18,000 pounds of household goods here. As a result of this determination, incoming DoD civilians will be limited to "loaner" furniture (beds, tables, bookcases, etc.) for a period not to exceed 90 days. Large appliances (refrigerator, washer, dryer, stove/oven) are still supplied by the housing office for the duration of the permanent duty.
Information Links for Newcomers: Additional information for those incoming to Okinawa can be found through the links from the Marine Corps Camps Services website at www.mccsokinawa.com following links for newcomers; the Kadena Services Links Page at http://kadenaforcesupport.com also offers important information for newcomers.