Minimum Age Requirements
DoD dependents under the NDSP may follow the host nation school’s age requirement for entrance into the US equivalent of kindergarten and first grade.
- If the host nation school will accept the child into the US equivalent to kindergarten and the child turn five years old after September 1 or February 1 in the southern hemisphere, parents should CAREFULLY consider their child’s social, emotional and academic readiness for kindergarten and the possible impacts when transitioning back to the United States public schools after the overseas tour.
- If the host nation school will accept the child into the US equivalent to kindergarten and the child turn five years old after September 1 or February 1 in the southern hemisphere, supporting documentation by the school must be submitted during the NDSP online registration process. NDSP will fund for only one year prior to the equivalent of US first grade (kindergarten).
Please Note: NDSP cannot reimburse families for any educational expenses incurred prior to one year before the U.S. equivalent of first grade (kindergarten). If a host nation has a compulsory age requirement for students, but the NDSP student will not be enrolled in the equivalent of US kindergarten, the family will need to enroll the child in the host nation public school or they may choose to send the child to a private school at their own expense.
Eligibility for Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP)
The following conditions must exist to be eligible for Non-DoD Schools Program support:
- Sponsor must be a military service member serving on active duty and stationed overseas on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, or
A civilian employee of the Department of Defense who is employed on a permanent full time basis, assigned overseas, and is either a citizen or a national of the United States;
- Sponsors must be authorized to transport dependents* to or from an overseas area at government expense, and
- Sponsors must be provided an allowance for living quarters in that area.
- Sponsors must be assigned to a location outside the commuting area of a DoD school.
*School-aged dependents are defined as an individual:
- Who is the child, stepchild, adopted child, or ward of a DoD sponsor, residing with the sponsor, and is eligible for other command sponsorship services, postal services privileges, and
Who meets the host nation age requirement for kindergarten, and
- Has not completed secondary school and will not reach his or her 21st birthday by September 1 of the current school year (or February 1 in the southern hemisphere); or
- Between 3 and 5 years of age with developmental delays and disabilities may be eligible for services if they meet the DoDEA special education criteria.
For more information please submit any requests to NDSP.Administration@hq.dodea.edu